What to Do When It All Becomes Too Much…

The past two months have both flown by and moved as slowly as a glacier. On Mother’s Day a secret was discovered, and my marriage was forever changed by it. With hard work and a rededication to each other and what we’ve created together, we are healing.

The process is slow. And challenging. And scary. And wonderful.

Life is a big jumbled mess for me right now, and I’m trying to get back on track. One way I’m doing that is journaling. I have always wanted to be a journaler, but could never stick with it. I thought I needed to sit down each night before bed and recount what I had done.

But then I decided to cut myself some slack. I put A LOT of pressure on myself to do things the way I think they, “should” be done. But that’s just setting myself up to fail, isn’t it? I’m dropping the ball in all areas of my life right now…home, work, family, friendships, Random Acts of Amy…and I’m trying to pick those balls up in a different way. In a way that makes me feel good and alive – not the way I think things, “should” be done.

I’m being kinder and gentler with myself. I do not have to be perfect. I’m letting things go if they don’t give me joy and build me up into a better person. In a sense, it makes me chuckle to think that I’m nearly 48 years old and I’m just figuring all of this out now.

This blog is going to change a bit. It won’t be focused and consumed with embroidery. Oh, I’ll still have embroidery! And cross stitch, and decluttering, and librarianship, and books, and my pets, and rescue work, and so much more that makes me, ME.

Yes, I’m committing a crime in the blogging world by not have one clear focus for my blog. But, I suppose the one clear purpose is myself and growing into a better person.

I hope you’ll stick around – who knows where the journey will take us!

1. Barbara Cameron

July 26, 2017 at 10:49 pm

Hope you are ok. I think that is 1 of the good things about the internet. There is always somebody to talk to. And sometimes talking to strangers is easier.

2. Catherine

July 23, 2017 at 2:13 am

I hope everything works out for the best Amy. And nothing wrong with a bit of diversification on your blog.

1. Amy Byrne

July 24, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Thank you, Catherine! I think we will be stronger in the end 🙂 And diversification on my blog has helped me to get over some of the stress I put on myself.

3. Cristina

July 22, 2017 at 9:25 pm

I can’t wait to see where you go! I’m going for the ride with you. Prayers for healing, grace and growth!

1. Amy Byrne

July 24, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Thank you, Cristina for your kind words and for sticking around! 🙂

4. Elizabeth Flygare

July 22, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Ohhh, dear Amy. This is the Journal Queen speaking – I kept a daily diary from age 12 to 40; after that, I went to blank books. I number them – I’m on #343 now since 1990.. (I also have a count since I retired in 2010; my current journal is Post-Retirement #46). I think your blog is great, and I love that you are giving journal-keeping another go. Three things I love so much about you: 1. You wear your heart on your sleeve; 2. You are emotionally articulate, and you are always examining your life to see what work you fneed to do for personal growth. So many people are so unaware of themselves, and so unwilling to change! 3. Pure narcissism on my part – you remind me so much of myself. I may add – when I was 47, my life was a train wreck; my dad died in June of 1997, and of course I was still drinking You are so wise to be doing this inner work at the age you are now. Don’t lose heart. I just turned 67, and I am still on the journey. Peace and grace to you.–Elizabeth

1. Amy Byrne

July 24, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Thank you, Elizabeth! I remember that you were a strong proponent of journaling. Have you read David Sedaris’ new book, “Theft by Finding”? I’m listening to it, and it’s entertaining and insightful. David reads selected journal entries from 1977-2002. It’s been interesting to to hear him talk about things from when I was a little girl and that I can remember from recent times.

Comments are closed.